Warnings for Second-Hand Sleep Products
- Be sure that the product meets today’s safety standards and hasn’t been recalled. You can check for product recalls at www.firstcandle.org/category/recall/ or www.cpsc.gov.
- If the product has slats, be sure they are no more than 2 3/8” apart (width of a soda can). Make sure that all slats are in place and secure.
- Corner posts on cribs should be less than 1/16” high.
- If the product has mesh, be sure that the holes are no more than ¼” in diameter.
- Be sure that you have each and every original part, including screws, bolts and the instruction manual. Never make do with screws or other parts you may have around your home or those that you might get from a local hardware store. Every part of your baby’s crib has a role in helping to keep your baby safe!
- If you are missing instructions or parts do not use the product. Call the manufacturer directly for help.
- Be sure there are no splinters or rough edges and check for cracked or peeling paint. All of these can be dangerous for your baby.
- Be sure the product is sturdy and not wobbly.
Last Updated: Sep 30, 2010
© Copyright 2013 First Candle