Despite the existence of compelling research and statistics about the importance of safe sleep in reducing our nation’s high rate of infant mortality, the number of babies who die in adult beds and other unsafe sleep environments is on the rise.
In fact, of the more than 4,500 sudden, unexpected infant deaths each year, statistics show that as many as 80-90 percent are the result of unsafe sleep practices. These are preventable deaths.
If you knew that your baby’s risk to die was up to 40 times greater while sleeping in an adult bed, rather than a safe crib, where would you place your baby to sleep?
By developing and implementing more effective safe sleep education campaigns, First Candle is confident we can significantly reduce the number of sudden, unexpected infant deaths in the United States. To reach this goal, we must:
- Ensure that every parent is aware of, and prepared to adopt, lifesaving safe sleep practices before leaving the hospital.
- Ensure that every baby has access to a safe crib, especially if the family can’t afford one.
The information contained in this section will help you understand the importance of safe sleep practices in protecting your baby from SIDS, suffocation and accidents during sleep. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions or concerns you may have.
Brochures and other education materials are also available for download or purchase in the First Candle Store.
- Download Safe Sleep Saves Lives! Fact Sheet (PDF)
- Download Room Sharing is Safer than Bed Sharing Brochure (Bilingual) (PDF)
- Check out our Safe Sleep Snap Shirt Project